Monday, July 13, 2009

Thing 14

I stumbled across Technorati while looking for blogs of interest to me. This is how I found the second grade teacher blog I responded to in Thing 12.

I like the different features of Technorati. It was interesting to see different results when searching School Library Learning 2.0 via blog posts, tags, and the blog directory. Another point I noticed and liked was the difference between popular blogs rated by fans versus by authority. For instance, Boing Boing rated number 1 on the Top 100 blogs by fans while it rated number 5 on the Top 100 blogs by authority.

After exploring Flickr, LibraryThing, de.lico.us, and Technorati, I definitely see the importance of tagging information. It is a helpful and necessary organizational tool for content. I can see Joshua Schachter's point about tagging being better suited for the users of blogs rather than the publishers. On the other hand, when I was looking for a blog of interest for Thing 12, Technorati helped me locate what I wanted.

Quick clarification for me: Delicious tags are completed by the users. Technorati provides tagging services to publishers of blogs, media sites, and connects advertisers to blogs and media sites. Am I understanding this correctly?

No comments:

Post a Comment